The Department of Public Welfare, in response to recent CLS advocacy, has improved the LIHEAP program in five significant ways.
1. The LIHEAP program (Cash and Crisis) end date has been extended from March 15 to April 2, 2010.
2. A $100 supplemental LIHEAP Cash payment will be made to all LIHEAP households who are eligible for a cash grant. Households that were already approved for LIHEAP cash will automatically receive another $100 (payable, in most cases, to the energy company.)
3. An additional $100 supplemental LIHEAP Cash payment will be made to LIHEAP households with a “vulnerable household member”. Vulnerable is defined as households with someone who is:
- 60 years of age or over;
- 5 years of age or younger; OR
4. As of February 8, 2010, DPW will accept all regulated utility termination notices, dated February 1 or later for the purpose of providing Crisis grants. In Philadelphia, shut-off notices from PGW and PECO dated February 1 or later will be accepted as proof of a Crisis. Until now, only applicants without heat were eligible for Crisis.
5. Also as of February 8, 2020, households can apply for a second Crisis grant up to the maximum total amount of $400, ending the previous “one and done” rule. A second Crisis grant may be issued to households who have previously received one of less than $400. The second grant must be accepted by the fuel vendor or utility company as sufficient to resolve the crisis. The utility must agree to accept the Crisis amount as sufficient to avert termination until May 1.
Download LIHEAP Applications in English and Spanish here.
To apply for LIHEAP Cash or Crisis, mail or take the application to:
LIHEAP District County Assistance Office (formerly Tioga)
1348 W. Sedgley Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19132
Monday – Friday
8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
You can also apply for LIHEAP Crisis by going, in person, to:
Elmwood District Boulevard District
5740 Market Street, 1st Floor 4109 Frankford Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19139 Philadelphia, PA 19124
THURSDAYS ONLY TUESDAYS ONLY
8 a.m. – 4 p.m. 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.